Terms of Service

By placing an order with Rebu, you confirm that you are in agreement with and bound by the terms and conditions below.

In this document, the website rebu.co.nz, and all e-mail communication, 'Rebu' refers to the company 'Rebu Retail Limited'.


  1. Rebu will carry out work only where an agreement is provided either by email, telephone, mail or fax.
  2. Rebu will carry out work only for clients who are 18 years of age or above.
  3. An ‘order’ is deemed to be a written or verbal contract between Rebu and the client, this includes telephone and email agreements.
  4. Rebu reserves the right to change or update these terms at any time without prior notice.

Charges & Fees

  1. Projects where the total cost is over $500 may be split into two payments. An initial 30% deposit will be due before commencement of project. The remaining 70% balance will be due upon acceptance of the completed web development project. In some cases progress payments on completion of milestones may be appropriate, this will be outlined during the quoting process.
  2. Travel expenses - For clients located more than 30 kilometers from Rebu's registered office, the client agrees to pay all travel expenses incurred getting to and from a clients premises.

Communication & Delivery

  1. The majority of communication is conducted by email, as this allows us to document a complete virtual 'paper trail'.

Copyright & Ownership

  1. Upon completion of the project and full payment of all invoices, Rebu transfers all rights and ownership of CUSTOM designs / other works produced by Rebu to the client.
  2. Software such as the in-browser CMS's SilverStripe, Concrete5, WordPress and other third party programs are not transferred to the client and remain under copyright of their respective owners.
  3. Rebu reserves the right to display websites and graphics that have been designed by Rebu on their website, and in any marketing material to aid as examples of our work.
  4. Domain Names - once your domain name has been paid for, we will release to you a UDAI code on request should you wish to transfer it to a third party.

Development & Delivery

  1. Rebu understands the importance of completing projects in a timely manner. We agree to complete the project within the timeframe specified in our quote, this however is subject to the client suppling Rebu with complete text, graphic content and other requested materials before commencement of the project.

Hours of Operation

  1. As most communication is able to take place via e-mail, don't be supprised if you find an e-mail from us that arrived in the wee small hours of the night. This is because we dont have set hours of operation. Rather we work the hours we need to to get the job done!


  1. Services purchased from Rebu are provided "as is" without warranty of any kind that the project will be uninterrupted or error free. In no event shall Rebu be liable to the client for any direct, indirect, special, punitive, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of the use of the website, services, and/ore goods provided to the client. This includes, without limitation, lost profits, business interruption, loss of data or other losses directly resulting from the use of the website, services, and/or goods provided to the client. The entire risk as to the quality and performance of the project is with the client.


  1. Rebu accepts payment via Direct Credit or Cheque.
  2. Full payment is due by the date specified on the invoice (in most cases, 20th of the month).
  3. If accounts are not settled or Rebu have not been contacted regarding the delay, access to the related service may be denied, we will then pass such cases to our elected debt collection agency to pursue payment. Non payment can result in small claims court action and submission of debtor to Baycorp Advantage Credit Rating list.
  4. The client is liable to pay any debt collection or legal fees that transpire in the course of seeking settlement of an overdue account.

Project Consideration

  1. Please note that Rebu is a family oriented company. Therefore, we will not accept projects that we find morally questionable, unethical, or distasteful.

Quotes & Contracts

  1. Quotes provided to prospects will be honored for 30 days. A new quote will then be provided upon request.